Congratulations on the birth of your child!
Each birth is full of wonder, renewing our dreams of a better world and our desire to work toward it. The decision to baptize your child is a joyful and important one for your whole family. Baptism is also a time of great happiness for the entire parish community as we welcome a new member.
All parents must attend a Baptism Preparation class. Pre Registration is required prior to the class and to pick a baptism date.
Contact Sue D’Alessandro in the Parish Office to register for the Baptism: (630) 833-7730
Baptisms: Held on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month at 12:15 PM.
We will have no more than 2 families at a baptism.
Spanish Baptisms: Held on the 3rd Sunday of the month at 1:00 PM.
Speak with Deacon Julio at the 6 PM Spanish Mass to schedule a Spanish baptism.
Parents are required to attend a baptism preparation class. Please Register for the in-person baptism class at St. John the Apostle:
330 N. Westmore Avenue, Villa Park
Contact Deacon Ron
Contact Deacon Ron:
Call or text (630)279-7433
When finished with the in-person Class at St. John the Apostle, please forward the completion certificate to Sue D’Alessandro in the Parish Office: email@example.com.
Current Baptism Class Schedule
Saturday, June 3 @ 11:30 AM
Saturday, July 1 @ 11:30 AM
Catholic Godparents are required to fill out a Certificate of Eligibility form and have the pastor of their current church sign and seal it. These signed forms are due back to the Parish Office no later than two weeks prior to the Baptism or sooner. Forms will be given to the parents once registered for the class and baptism.
Canonical Requirements for Godparents
Insofar as possible, a person to be baptized is to be given a sponsor who assists an adult in Christian initiation or together with the parents presents an infant for baptism. A sponsor also helps the baptized person to lead a Christian life in keeping with baptism and to fulfill faithfully the obligations inherent in it.
There is to be only one male sponsor or one female sponsor or one of each.
§1. To be permitted to take on the function of sponsor a person must:
- be designated by the one to be baptized, by the parents or the person who takes their place, or in their absence by the pastor or minister and have the aptitude and intention of fulfilling this function;
- have completed the sixteenth year of age, unless the diocesan bishop has established another age, or the pastor or minister has granted an exception for a just cause;
- be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist and who leads a life of faith in keeping with the function to be taken on;
- not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared;
- not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized.
§2. A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community is not to participate except together with a Catholic sponsor and then only as a witness of the baptism.